Rochester Pre-College Online Program for High School Students
Explore your interests before college
If you have a passion for certain subjects and would like to explore them before college, here is your chance to do so—with one of the world's leading research universities. The Rochester Pre-College Online Program offers courses designed for high school students ages 13 and up. Each course features engaging video by Rochester faculty and access to mentors. The program is available year-round, and the online format lets you study anywhere, anytime, at your own pace. This flexibility allows students to take multiple courses and discover a variety of academic areas of interest.
Multiple 2- and 4-week sessions
For students ages 13+
Individual Course Fees
Current courses available
Learn to read your genes
Personalized Medicine: Customizing Care Through Genetics
Genetic mapping is making treatment more individualized than ever. Step into the brave new world in which genetic science can identify, and in many cases treat, diseases such as addiction, Alzheimer’s, bipolar disorder, even acne. If you are interested in pre-med or STEM, this course is a must.
A firsthand look at treating bones
Orthopedic Medicine: Treatments & Surgery
Did you know that orthopedic surgery ranks among the *top medical specialties for both competitiveness and compensation? If you’re a highly motivated student interested in medicine, surgery, or orthopedics, then we have the course for you. You’ll study tumors; trauma; and total joint replacement. Learn common orthopedic conditions, how they present in the body, and the broad range of operative and non-operative treatments available.
*Source: Med School Insiders
Discover our bionic future
Biomedical Engineering: Solving the Body’s Problems Through Technology
Can biotechnology increase our lifespan? Can it make our bodies more functional? Can it heal previously untreatable conditions? Delve into the exciting world of biomedical engineering. Learn about current advances and future potentials—everything from artificial limbs to implantable devices. Think like an engineer for the body.
From storytelling to design
Intro to Video Game Design
Study the art and technology aspects of video game design, from Atari to XBox and Mobile Gaming. Get hands-on experience with the theories, tech frameworks, and storytelling that are used to design Meaningful Play. Learn how to use GameMaker Studio 2 to customize a templated video game.
Why is healthcare a political hot button?
U.S. Healthcare: Politics, Problems and Possibilities
Is healthcare a right or a privilege? Why are attempts to reform the U.S. system so controversial? Dive into the politics. Learn the history, types of plans and even take a stab at designing a healthcare program yourself. If you’re interested in pre-med or careers in healthcare, this course is for you.
Hear from the University of Rochester
Advantages you gain from our courses:
- Online courses are available throughout the year — pick subjects that fit your passion and your schedule
- Suitable for high school students ages 13 and up — so you can start exploring your interests early on
- Experience what it’s like to take courses designed by University of Rochester faculty while you’re still in high school
- Lessons by professors are delivered through videos so that you can tune in whenever your schedule allows — the ultimate in flexibility
- Receive guidance from a mentor who can support you and answer questions as you deepen your learning experience
- For each course, earn a Certificate of Completion from the University of Rochester
3 Learning Advantages Designed for You
1. Flexible Learning
- 100% online, works with your schedule
- Asynchronous: you’ll learn through engaging videos. Tune in anytime that works for you
- Multiple courses can be taken to maximize your learning experience
- 20-30 hours of total instruction and activities per course, including engaging multimedia, simulations, and curated assignments for which you will receive guidance and support from mentors
- Engage with fellow students online from around the world
You’ll receive guidance from a mentor who can support you and answer questions as you deepen your learning experience. You can expect:
- Expertise in your course's particular field
- Encouragement and direction on all assignments
- Inspiration, motivation and confidence to help you excel in your studies
- Brainstorming to help as you prepare for your final capstone project
3. Final Capstone Project
All courses culminate in a final project that allows you to:
- Demonstrate what you've learned in a presentation
- Get feedback from your mentors on your work
- Choose from a variety of topics covered in your course to show what you’ve learned
- Use any media you prefer— text, video, photography, PowerPoint
How to Apply
It’s easy. No transcripts or letters of recommendation are required. Just provide some basic information and tell us why you wish to take this program.
Note: Please submit all application materials in English.
Begin the guided process. It should take only a few minutes of your time to answer the questions.Apply Now
Frequently Asked Questions
How will you be graded? What are assignments like? How much time do you get to turn around a project? When do you find out if you're accepted?Find answers to your questions
On campus summer programs
Stay on a beautiful campus. Work with real professors. Dig in to your favorite subjects in science, the humanities, and the arts, and discover what truly fascinates you. You'll come away ready to apply to college and thrive when you get there.Learn more about the on campus program
We offer need-based scholarships in each cohort to students exhibiting high potential who need assistance affording the associated cost. If you would like to be considered for a scholarship but you:
- Haven't applied to the program, complete your application now. The scholarship application is included.
- Applied to the program and didn't fill out a scholarship request, resume your application and click “Apply for Scholarship”.
- Are unsure about whether or not you applied for a scholarship, reach out to us at email@example.com for assistance.