- Yes, all of these courses are non-credit-bearing courses from the University of Rochester designed specifically for high school students. Rochester faculty design the course curricula and teach the courses in pre-recorded videos. Students earn a Certificate of Completion from the University of Rochester for each course completed.
- These courses are designed for high school or U.S.-high-school-equivalent students, including those who are taking a “gap year” between high school and college. Students should be between 13 and 19 years old, not yet enrolled in college, and no more than 1 year post-high school graduation (“gap year”).
- These courses are not intended for college students or adults.
- We are unable to accept students under 13 years of age.
- Online course: 100% flexible between your start and end dates. The lesson content is asynchronous, meaning you study whenever you’d like. Offered year-round.
- Online course +Live: Includes everything offered in the online course plus live instructional zoom sessions with industry experts and guest speakers. Attendance is not a requirement for completion. This option is offered only in the summer.
- Yes, these courses are designed to be 100% flexible between your start and end dates. The lesson content is asynchronous, meaning you study whenever you’d like.
- Since no live meetings or specific study times are required, you can plan your course time around your other commitments as long as you have approximately 30 total hours to devote to the course between the start and end dates of your chosen cohort/session.
- Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your question or request. If there is a space available in other cohorts, we will work with you to find one that best fits your schedule.
- We accommodate schedule changes whenever possible and are usually able to do so. However, it is best to contact us as soon as you know you need to make a change, as we cannot guarantee session changes within two weeks of your start date.
- Yes, the lesson content is asynchronous, so you can participate from any time zone. Mentors most frequently in U.S. time zones (U.S. PT/MT/CT/ET), but we have students from all over the world studying with us.
- For the +Live option: the live sessions are generally held between 9 AM and 6 PM ET.
Course tuition is as follows:
$995: Online courses
- Online courses offered year-round: Personalized Medicine, Biomedical Engineering, Video Game Design, and U.S. Healthcare
$1295: +Live courses
- +Live courses offered in summer 2022: Biomedical Engineering, Personalized Medicine, and Video Game Design
There are no additional fees.
We accept most major credit cards (AMEX, Discover, Mastercard, Visa UnionPay, JCB, etc.), as well as Apple Pay, Google Pay, Alipay, and WeChat Pay.
We offer need-based scholarships in each cohort to students exhibiting high potential who need assistance affording the associated cost. If you would like to be considered for a scholarship but you:
- Haven't applied to the program, complete your application now. The scholarship application is included.
- Applied to the program and didn't fill out a scholarship request, reach out to us at email@example.com for assistance.
- Are unsure about whether or not you applied for a scholarship, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Click here to apply; you’ll be guided through the application. It’s only a few pages, and it takes just a moment to get started. You won’t be required to provide transcripts or letters of recommendation. Instead, we will ask you for some basic information and to submit one brief personal statement. The entire application should take no more than 20-30 minutes.
- We need some basic information about you and want to know why you’re interested in the course(s) you’ve chosen. You can complete your personal statement with a short essay, video, and/or other media files that tell your story.
- You must report your GPA (academic average); there is no minimum GPA requirement to be considered. The most important part of your application is your personal statement.
- While we welcome students whose primary languages are not English, the course is taught in English, and application submissions must also be provided in English. Applications submitted in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
- Students must be at least 13 years old; no more than 19 years old; and no more than one year removed from high school graduation.
- You can apply to one or multiple programs with one application. Applying to multiple programs does not affect your chances of being accepted to any one program.
- If you are interested in more than one program, we strongly encourage you to choose different dates for each so that you have time to get the most out of each program.
You’ll usually be notified via email within 5 business days. At peak times, or if we have questions about the information you’ve provided, it may take a few additional days to review your application and send you a decision.
- Both the online courses and +Live online courses include engaging and interactive lessons via pre-recorded videos and support from course mentors.
- For both options, you complete assignments and other activities on your own schedule.
- +Live also includes live instructional Zoom sessions.
- In total, the course will take approximately 30 hours to complete from start to finish. Depending on the time of year, you may be able to choose between a 2-week option (approximately 15 hour per week of work commitment) and a 4-week option (approximately 7.5 hours per week of work commitment).
- You have the flexibility to complete the course work on your own schedule, while keeping in mind that all work must be completed before the end of the 2-week or 4-week course you’re enrolled in. Regardless of your selection, all options contain the same program content, sessions, and support.
- Note that you will continue to have view-only access to the course for 6 months from your course start date.
- +Live sessions also include weekday Zoom sessions featuring guest speakers, group mentors, and interactive events with classmates.
Most courses can be completed on your computer, smartphone, or tablet, however, some do require additional materials.
Video Game Design
You’ll receive an online course invitation at least 2 days prior to your course start date. Students who enroll at or near the deadline may receive credentials slightly later.
- No, these programs are for enrichment and do not provide college credit.
- You will receive an official Certificate of Completion from the University of Rochester, which you can include on your resume or college application.
Participation in the pre-college course will not afford you any preferential treatment in the Rochester admissions process, however it will add another higher education experience to your college application.
Assignments & Grading
Each unit assignment, as well as the Final Project, will be assessed on a rubric of:
- Complete - Work that satisfies the requirements of the assignment
- Incomplete - Work was not submitted or did not address the assignment requirements
Each course includes module assignments and culminates in one final project.
- You'll complete engaging, curated assignments at the end of each module aimed to solidify and reinforce your knowledge of the course content.
- Your final assignment is a project in which you will have the opportunity to demonstrate what you’ve learned in the program. You’ll choose from a variety of topics covered in your course, get feedback from your mentors on your work, and you’ll be able to use any media you prefer-- text, video, photography, or Powerpoint. Best of all, you'll be able to list your project on future college or internships applications.
You will have until the end of the course to complete your assignments and final project.
About the Instructors & Mentors
Mentors are well-versed in your course subject and will work with you throughout the course. Your mentor will provide encouragement and direction on assignments, as well as the inspiration and confidence to be successful. In short, you won’t need to go it alone.
Course mentors will support you by answering your course-related questions, providing guidance, encouragement, and recommendations throughout the course, and giving feedback on your assignments and the final project.
You’ll have the opportunity to connect with your mentor virtually during your course using the Canvas Inbox and discussion board whenever you have any questions or need support regarding your course content. You can also expect to receive mentor feedback on course assignments and the final project.
Refund Policy Information
- We know that plans and circumstances often change, so tuition payments are 100% refundable when requested fifteen (15) or more days prior to your scheduled program start date.
- All payments become non-refundable fourteen (14) days prior to your scheduled program start date.
Technical Requirements & Issues
- A strong internet connection (WiFi or wired) is required as the course is online.
- Our digital course platform, Canvas, is compatible with most browsers and devices. You can download the Canvas Student app on the App Store or Google Play.
For the video game design course:
- Enrolled students will receive course access via email at least 2 days prior to your course start date. Students who enroll at or near the deadline may receive credentials slightly later.
- Download the Canvas Student app on the App Store or Google Play.
- Once downloaded, input Rochester Pre-College Online Program under “What’s your school’s name?”
- Then, log in to Canvas with your credentials.
You must complete all of the assignments for your course by the end of your course session. You’ll have view-only access to the online course for 6 months after your end-date.
For School Counselors
Possibly. If you would like to collaborate with us to create scholarships specifically for students that attend your school, please reach out to email@example.com.
Still Need Support?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our Support Team will get back to you as soon as possible.