Rochester Pre-College Online STEM Courses for High School Students
Explore your interests in STEM before college
If you have a passion for science, technology, engineering, or math and would like to explore these subjects before college, here is your chance to do so—with one of the world's leading research universities. The University of Rochester offers online courses in biomedical engineering, personalized medicine, video game design, and orthopedic surgery for high school students ages 13 and up. Each course features engaging video by Rochester faculty and access to mentors. The program is available year-round, and the online format lets you study anywhere, anytime, at your own pace.
Multiple 2- and 4-week sessions
For students ages 13+
Current courses available
Advantages you gain from our STEM courses:
- Online courses are available throughout the year — pick a STEM subject that fits your passion and your schedule
- Suitable for high school students ages 13 and up — so you can start exploring your interests in science, tech, engineering, and math early on
- Experience what it’s like to take a course designed by University of Rochester faculty while you’re still in high school
- Asynchronous: lessons by professors are delivered through videos so that you can tune in whenever your schedule allows — the ultimate in flexibility
- Receive guidance from a mentor who can support you and answer questions as you deepen your learning experience
- Earn a Certificate of Completion from the University of Rochester
3 Learning Advantages Designed for You
1. Flexible Learning
- 100% online, works with your schedule
- Asynchronous: you’ll learn through engaging videos. Tune in anytime that works for you.
- 20-30 hours of total instruction and course work, including engaging multimedia, simulations, and curated assignments for which you will receive guidance and support from mentors
- Engage with fellow students online from around the world
You’ll receive guidance from a mentor who can support you and answer questions as you deepen your learning experience. You can expect:
- Encouragement and direction on all assignments
- Inspiration, motivation and confidence to help you excel in your studies
- Brainstorming to help as you prepare for your final Capstone project
3. Final Capstone Project
All online courses culminate in a final project that allows you to:
- Demonstrate what you've learned in a presentation
- Get feedback from your mentors on your work
- Choose from a variety of topics covered in your course to show what you’ve learned
- Use any media you prefer— text, video, photography, PowerPoint
How to Apply
It’s easy. No transcripts or letters of recommendation are required. Our application will ask you to provide the following in English:
- Basic contact information for you and your parent or guardian.
- Why you wish to take this course, and a bit of your story. You can tell us about yourself through writing, video, photos — any media you prefer. NOTE: Please submit all application materials in English.
Begin the guided process. It should take only a few minutes of your time to answer the questions.Apply Now
Want to know more?
Sign up for more information and we’ll be in touch.
Apply now for online pre-college courses
Our application process is easy. You can expect a prompt decision.Apply Now
Frequently Asked Questions
How will you be graded? What are assignments like? How much time do you get to turn around a project? When do you find out if you're accepted?Find answers to your questions
To learn more about applying to the University of Rochester for your undergraduate studies, visit the Undergraduate Admissions page.Learn more about Undergraduate Admissions
We offer need-based scholarships in each cohort to students exhibiting high potential who need assistance affording the associated cost. If you would like to be considered for a scholarship but you:
- Haven't applied to the program, complete your application now. The scholarship application is included.
- Applied to the program and didn't fill out a scholarship request, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Are unsure about whether or not you applied for a scholarship, reach out to us at email@example.com for assistance.